Call, Write or Email Us About Your Family Law Issue

Mention this website and ask for a free 15-minute telephone consultation to find out if our firm can help you resolve your Family Law problem.  Whether it's a divorce, post-divorce, custody or visitation matter, we'll be happy to discuss the matter briefly to determine if you need our services.
Contact Us Today
Hoge Partners, PLLC
First Trust Centre
Suite 400 South

200 South Fifth Street
Louisville, Kentucky 40202
Fax:  (502) 583-1223
Phone:  (502) 583-2005
We accept:

Fellow of the American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers

Home | FAQ | Directions | Contact

Dissipation of Marital Assets in Kentucky Divorces

If one party intentionally dissipates (which means "to waste", to "expend on useless or profitless activity", "to use or consume an asset thoughtlessly or carelessly") marital assets, the other party may be able to seek compensation for that loss.

If a spouse installs a paramour in a new home, provides a girlfriend/boyfriend with a car, pays the girlfriend/boyfriend's bills, travels with him or her on vacations, etc., then the injured spouse can file an action against the other for dissipating the parties' marital assets.

If a spouse gambles or drinks away such assets or if a spouse spends marital assets in the pursuit of a drug addiction, the injured spouse can seek remedies through the Court for dissipation.

Giving away, discarding or destroying marital assets can also be considered dissipation.

See Glidewell v. Glidewell, 859 S.W.2d 675 (Ky.App. 1993), for an important discussion by the Kentucky Court of Appeals on this subject.