Call, Write or Email Us About Your Family Law Issue

Mention this website and ask for a free 15-minute telephone consultation to find out if our firm can help you resolve your Family Law problem.  Whether it's a divorce, post-divorce, custody or visitation matter, we'll be happy to discuss the matter briefly to determine if you need our services.
Contact Us Today

Hoge Partners, PLLC

Make a note of our NEW ADDRESS:

Suite 600
Kentucky Home Life Building
239 South Fifth Street

Louisville, Kentucky 40202

Fax:  (502) 583-1223
Phone:  (502) 583-2005

We accept:

Fellow of the American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers

James K MurphyReviewsout of 5 reviews

Linked In

Follow Us on Facebook

Home | FAQ | Directions | Contact

How Do I Take Out an EPO (Emergency Protective Order)?

An EPO is an Emergency Protective Order. It is good for only FOURTEEN DAYS, during which time a hearing will be held on whether or not the court will grant you additional protection.

The next level is obtaining a DVO (Domestic Violence Order), which may be issued by the Court after an EPO hearing at which both parties have an opportunity to appear. If you get an EPO, the DVO is not guaranteed.

A DVO is valid for up to THREE YEARS and can be renewed by the Court.

EPOs and DVOs are NOT bullet-proof!

EPOs and DVOs are pieces of paper.  They cannot save your life!  They can, however, empower the authorities to take your partner into police custody if he/she is threatening you or otherwise violating the EPO or DVO.

If you are in Jefferson County and need to take out an EPO,
please call 502-595-0853 or go to the

Jefferson County Domestic Violence Intake Center

Monday through Friday -- 8:00 AM – 12:00 AM (midnight)
Saturday and Sunday -- 10:00 AM to 6:00 PM

1st Floor, Room 1150
Jefferson Hall of Justice
600 W. Jefferson Street
Louisville, Kentucky

(502) 595-0853


See http://www.louisvilleky.gov/CountyAttorney/dvintakecenter for more information on the Jefferson County Domestic Violence Intake Center.

If you are outside Jefferson County, contact your local law enforcement office and ask how to take out an EPO.

Remember:  If you are in genuine risk of injury through domestic violence, call: 9-1-1 immediately.

And make sure you have a Domestic Violence Safety Plan!

Return to our main Domestic Violence page to learn more about protecting yourself and the ones you love from physical, emotional and sexual abuse from an intimate partner